Well, today the Robie household received its USDOJ Victim Notification System letter that we discussed on this site just a few days ago.
Here’s the gist:
“The government has [charged] defendants Walter Ng and Kelly Ng with the crime of Structuring Transactions for the Purpose of Evading a Reporting Requirement.”
- That’s the best they could do? Evading a reporting requirement? This is nothing like tripping up Al Capone on an income tax issue. This feels a lot more like giving Walter and Kelly a jaywalking ticket.
“The defendants are scheduled for arraignment on November 6, 2013, at 9:30 AM, before Magistrate Judge Kandis Westmore in Courtroom 4, 3rd Floor, 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA.”
- Okay…tell us more….
“The government and defense counsel for the Ngs have reached a resolution to these charges and anticipate that the defendants will plead guilty on November 6, 2013, at 1:30 PM, before District Judge Phyllis Hamilton in Courtroom 3, 3rd Floor, 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA.”
- This doesn’t bode well for the investors. A “resolution” has been reached. Why let these guys off easy? This has the aroma of a skunk’s rear end.
“The government provides this notice to you because you may have been an investor in RE Loans, LLC and/or Mortgage Fund 08, LLC. Victims of all crimes under federal investigation are entitled to service under the Victims’ Rights and Restitution Act (VRRA), including notification of court events. However, because you were not directly and proximately harmed as a result of the structuring-related conduct charged in the filed criminal Information, you are not covered under the Crime Victims’ Rights Act.
“With regard to restitution, the government does not expect to recover any loss amounts in this case.”
- The picture above about sums it up. Et tu, Brute? Would anyone else supposedly put in place to help us like to cave like a house of cards and do nothing to help those who need — and DESERVE — the help?
“In any event, we will continue to provide you with notifications and services unless you tell us not to.”
- Gee, thanks.
“Because of the Court’s schedule, hearing dates could change on very short notice. If you plan on attending, you may want to call the Victim Notification System (VNS) Call Center or check the website to confirm the date and time. Please note, there is a 24-hour delay in information transferred to the website.”
- The phone number to call is 1-866-365-4968
- No, we cannot bill the call to the Ngs
“Separate from the charges filed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office; please note that the Securities and Exchange Commission has charged Walter and Kelly Ng by Complaint with fraud-related securities violations for their activities involving RE Loans and Mortgage Fund 08.”
- Finally some good news in an otherwise bleak letter from the government.
- It’s not our Victim Witness Specialist Yvette Baird’s fault that it seems like these thieves are getting off scott-free. She’s just doing her job. The real blame lies with the folks WAY up the food chain.
- We matter. There are A LOT of us. We’ve all been stolen from, duped, lied to, taken advantage of and, in some cases, had our lives upended, detoured and even ruined. All because of the Ngs and now they’re essentially getting away with it without ever having to pay the true piper. This isn’t right. This isn’t justice. This is injustice, and it’s far from the American way. Our government has failed us. The DOJ, the SEC, the California Attorney General, the FBI. Everyone. It’s fucking preposterous and every official, whether elected or appointed, should be ashamed.